- Home of 23 covered bridges -
What are you CRAZY!?! Nope! We are going to ride across America. With Graham on bike and classroom behind him, we'll help our U.S. History teacher from San Francisco to Boston!
My name is Marie! I am a sophomore, currently studying at Downers Grove North High School! Woohoo! Home of the Trojans! So far I've been on the swim team for two years and I love to play badminton. AH! tryouts are right around the corner, so wish me luck! : ) At home I live somewhat peacefully with my Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister to be, and my sweet puppy,K-9! Including swimming and badminton some other of my hobbies are playing the piano, art, friends, laughing, anything to do with water, and just having a great time. I welcome you to my Washington County, Pennsylvania web page.
Before I go on I would like to take time and thank a few people for their generous time and efforts to help me out on this project. I would like to recognize Dana M Stathers, the Office Administrator of the Washington County Tourism Promotion Agency.
Well kick back; because all you have to do is point, click, and scroll, to learn about the wonderful Washington County!
General County Information:
-Washington County, Pennsylvania
- Square mileage of county - 7.625 sq. kilometers
- Total populations - 15,864
- County road map -
- County Parks-
- Cross Creek Park (3500 acres)
- Mingo Creek Park (2600 acres)
- Ten Mile Creek Park (22 acres)
- First inhabitants before European settlement
-The first European settlements
- Famous people from this area -
Famous artist - Malcolm Parcell (deceased in Washington county)
- Civil War-
House - Today this mansion is listed
in National Register of Historic Places.
- Francis J. LeMoyne, M.D.
- Buffalo trails and Native American footpaths
- Township formation dates
dates of early boroughs
- General geography of the area
- Washington County streams and their tributaries
- Swimming pools-
Sunset Beach - Claysville, Pennsylvania
Mineral Beach - Finleyville, Pennsylvania
- The most common wild animal - deer
- The most dangerous animals - bear and wolf
- Reasons for living in Washington County -
Washington county is in the suburbs of Pittsburg and it's
really not a crowded county. Also there is a low crime rate.
- The population is growing -
People are moving out of Pittsburgh to live in the suburbs.
there are a lot of housing complexes going up in Washington
Washington County is found in extreme southwest corner of Pennsylvania. Of the four major geographic regions in the state, Washington County is on the Allegheny Plateau. The Allegheny Plateau covers about half the state, that half bounded in the east by the ridges of Allegheny mountains.
- The biggest county political issue -
The toll road they want to build through part of Washington
county connecting interstate 79 to Route 60 to go to Pittsburgh
Airport. Many people do not want their houses torn down for the
- The biggest state political issue the county is concerned about -
The state tax money iing of the new Pittsburgh Steeler
Football Stadium and the new Pittsburgh Pirate Baseball Stadium.
Most people do not want their tax money paying for new stadiums,
they think the owners of the teams should pay the bill.
- The biggest national political issue the county is concerned about -
Whether or not Washington county should be concerned with
the bombing of Kosovo.
Religions - Catholic and Greek Orthodox
- The most common crime - car theft
- Among the most famous artists from Washington County is
Malcolm Parcell( who is now deceased). During his career, he enjoyed a
national following of the art world for his paintings and prints.
- Another artist who enjoys national prominence for his paintings is
-Other local artists include: Alan Cottrill, James Sulkowski, Ray
Forquer, Steve Leonardi, Paul Edwards, Ray Dunlevy, and Robert
*Each of these
artists exhibit their works at the Artist's Co-op in
downtown Washington, PA.
The best restaurant - Angelo's Ristorante (Washington, PA)
- The Back Porch Restaurant (Lower Speers, PA)
- Where's the best ice cream/ milkshake? Sarn's Shop
- The best thing about living in Washington County -
There are so many things to do that are in driving distance,
Including three other states.
- Popular attractions -
- Ladbroke at the Meadows (a horse racing track)
- The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum
1 Museum Road, Washington, PA 15301
- Meadowcroft Museum of Rural Life
- Coca-Cola Star Lake Amphitheatre
Washington County has 23 covered bridges!
- Also known as the "kissin' bridges" (click above)