works in the Hastings Museum of History and gave me the information I needed to complete the history portion of this project.
Thank you very much to her. Her help was very appreciated.
The towns in
Adams County include Hansen, Hastings,
and Juanitia; Hastings being the largest and most populated. All
of the information on this website will be about Hastings because there
was little information about Juanitia and even less about Hansen.
Here are the things I learned from my report:
* The Hastings County website is: http://www.hastingsnet.com/index.htm
* The population of Hastings is about 22,000+ people.
* The average daily temperature in June, July, and August is about 85-90 degrees.
* The farther North you go the flatter the land. The farther South the more hills you will encounter because of the Platte river. Hastings is 1,932 feet above sea level.
* Three quarters of the annual rainfall occur between April and September.
* The land surface in and around Hastings is shaped the way it is mostly because of the Platte River.
* Nomadic Indians such as the Pawnee, Cheyenne, and the Sioux were the first inhabitants of Adams county. They are no longer living there because they were sent to reservations by Europeans.
* People settled here around 1871. Settlement was rapid and varied, however. Settlers from the eastern U.S. and Europe came because of the free home stead and the cheap railroad land.
* Some famous people that have been buried here or come out of Hastings are: Tom Osbourne, Roland Kirby, Harry Hopkins, and Edward Perkins ( See miscellaneous).
* For a timeline of history in Hastings Click here
* Hastings is primarily an agricultural community with diverse industries, recreation, and attractions.
* Edward Perkins invented Kool-Aide ( which was originally called Fruit Smack) in 1927. He lived in Hastings with his wife Kitty.
* For a listing of restaurants in hastings Click Here
Some of these are chains but there are most likely a couple good ones in the bunch.
* There are no hot springs that I know of but there are a few public pools in the Hastings area.
* For listing of 1999 events Click Here
* There is also a listing of some free attractions available to visit while in Hastings. Among them are Fisher Fountain, the Highland Park Cemetary and Lake Hastings.
* There are also a few campgrounds listed in Hastings.
* An interesting page of links for Hastings is located on the public schools of Hastings' home page.